Snow Leopard Expedition
Evolved to live in some of the harshest conditions on Earth, the mysterious and elusive snow leopard can be found high in the Spiti Valley of the Himalayas – at altitudes of over 15,000 – 16,000 feet above sea level. Prepare for an adventure like no other in the Kibber Wildlife sanctuary.
Witnessing a snow leopard in the wild is a rare opportunity that few others get. They’re some of the most difficult animals to spot our in their natural habitats, but with our qualified, trained guides with expert knowledge of the environment and behaviour of this spotted big cat, you’ll be venturing prepared.
The best chance to see these magnificent creatures is during the wintertime. The prey of the snow leopard – bhorals (mountain goats), ibex, Himalayan Thar, and the near threatened Markhor – descend during the colder months. The snow leopard follows.
This is a mystical trip of nature at its most real, combined with cultural wonders to visit and learn about along the way. India’s 500-600 snow leopards live in a land where Buddhist lamas train, Key Monastery.
During this snow leopard safari, you’ll only have the chance to spot other wonders of wildlife. We’ll keep our eyes open for the Himalayan Red Fox, Blue Sheep, and Himalayan ibex, along with bird species like the soaring Golden Eagle, vultures, and other migratory species. Experience the folklore of Spiti Valley, where nature and civilisation are tied together. The authenticity and wild side of Kibber, where the snow leopard roams, is where you’ll encounter nature at its most primal.
Dates & Rates
30 January 2024 – 10 February 2024
US$ 4 200 per person sharing
US$ 4 800 per person single
- Maximum 8 guests
- 30% deposit secures your spot
The average day temperature on the Snow Leopard expedition will be -5 degree C and it can drop down to -20 degrees C in the night. The rooms of the home stay in Kibber are wood heated making it warm and comfortable.
All guests must take out comprehensive travel insurance covering them for personal effects, personal accident, medical and emergency travel expenses.
Guests with medical history of breathing or heart related diseases are advised to consult their doctor and will need to present a Doctor’s certificate.
The itinerary of the Snow Leopard expedition will be flexible and might change due to heavy snowfall or unavoidable circumstances.
The Home Stay in Tabo and Kibber are basic but comfortable and hygienic. They are one of the best available options in both destinations considering the remoteness of the area. We will provide maximum possible luxury and comfort on the Snow Leopard expedition.
For photographers, a minimum of 600 mm lens is recommended for the Snow Leopard Expedition.
- Legend Safaris Photographic guide
- Photographic tutoring
- Breakfast in New Delhi
- All meals at all other destinations
- All airport transfers, internal transfers
- Premium Economy class airfare from New Delhi to Chandigarh and back. Excess luggage (Total weight 25kg check in + 7kg cabin luggage per person)
- Bottle Drinking water during Transfers and Safari
- All Applicable taxes
- All gypsy charges, entry charges, guide fees for safaris. Village fees, inner line permits, wildlife fees and camera charges for snow leopard expedition
- 1 porter per person on the Snow Leopard expedition at Kibber to carry luggage
- Hiking sticks and Gaiters for snow leopard expedition
- Portable Oxygen cylinder and basic first aid kit in Kibber
- Any personal expenses, extra meals, beverages, alcohol
- Tips and gratuities
- Travel Insurance, International Airfare and Visa charges
- Anything not mentioned in the above “Included” section
- Any extra charges due to cancellations, Heavy snow fall/roadblocks or unavoidable circumstances