Avoca Private Bush Camp
Avoca Private Bush Camp is a safari retreat for friends and family in the revered Timbavati Nature Reserve, which can be booked on a self-catering or fully catered basis. Open to the Kruger National Park, yet occupying private land, Avoca is wild and tranquil, offering an exclusive safari experience in simple, bush camp accommodation. The beauty of this private getaway spot is the lack of electricity, leaving all cooking and water heating up to gas and solar power. It is eco-friendly and idyllic, booked exclusively by one group (sleeps 8) and providing a peaceful spot to unwind and reconnect with the natural world. Avoca is a reformed hunting camp, now offering photographic safaris. The Timbavati Nature Reserve is known for superb game viewing, and is also the home of some of the only wild white lions on earth. The town of Hoedspruit is about an hour’s drive away, offering a close-by refuelling station with a wide variety of outdoor activities on offer.
AT A GLANCE
- Private camp in the Timbavati Nature Reserve – can be booked on both self-catered or fully catered basis
- Perfect for families and friends to gather in one of South Africa’s most excellent safari destinations
- Comfort and simplicity surrounded by birdsong, lions calling, and the ease of a family holiday.
- Old family hunting camp now a photographic safari option for guests looking for a self-catering experience.
- Private guide to take guests on game drives
- A private chef booked with fully-catered option
- Sleeps 8 people in wooden bungalows each sleeping 2 people
- All gas and solar powered
- Safari camp with both self-catering and fully catered booking options
- Solar and gas power
- Exclusive-use booking basis
- Sleeps 8 people – two people per room
- Main lodge area with kitchen (gas), indoor and outdoor lounges, bar, plunge pool, boma
- Outdoor shower with donkey boiler lit on request for hot water
- Housekeeping and maintenance staff onsite
- Private chef included in fully catered booking rates
- Private guide
- Morning and afternoon game drives in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Bird watching from the comfort of camp
- Bush dinners
- Sundowners during afternoon game drive
- Activities available in the area include tours of the Kruger National Park, Panorama route, and other sought after South African Lowveld attractions
- Cultural village tours
- Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre
- Hot-air balloon excursions near Hoedspruit
- Boat cruises on the Blyde and Olifants Rivers
A TYPICAL DAY AT AVOCA PRIV ATE BUSH CAMP
The pace of life at Avoca is entirely up to the guest. As an exclusive-use bush camp retreat, the schedule can be managed according to the group’s desire. Traditionally, the day kicks off with a morning game drive, and afternoon game drive departs at around 16h30 while the hours in between are spent at leisure.
- 05h30: Wake up for quick coffee before morning game drive
- 06h00: Morning game drive departs
- 09h00: Return to camp and spend the day according to own plans
- 16h30: Depart for afternoon game drive, including sundowners
- 19h30: Return to camp with ready-made campfire in the boma, and enjoy an evening at your leisure
Avoca Private Bush Camp is located in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve on a family farm belonging to the Berettas – now in its 4th generation of family ownership. The Timbavati is a renowned nature reserve on Kruger Park’s western boundary, nestled between the Manyeleti in the south and the Klaserie in the north. The camp is located about an hour’s drive from Hoedspruit, and within 30km of the Kruger’s Orpen Gate. It is an easy
drive from Johannesburg, which is about 5 hours away, while the Hoedspruit Eastgate Airport is only 40 minutes away, making it ideal for fly-in guests too.
HOW TO GET THERE
Avoca Private Bush Camp is located about an hour’s drive from Hoedspruit, and about 5 hours’ drive from Johannesburg. The Hoedspruit airport is about 40 minutes’ drive away, so there is an option for fly-in guests from Cape Town or Johannesburg.
No children under the age of 12 are allowed at Avoca Private Bush Camp.
1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017
Self-catered: R13 995.00 per night
Catered: R21 055.00 per night
1 January 2018 to 31 December 2018
Self-catered: R15, 500.00 per night
Catered: R23 100.00 per night
SELF CATERED INCLUDES
Accommodation, chef, housekeeping services, two game viewing activities per day and services of a professional game ranger.
Accommodation, chef, breakfast, lunch & three course dinner, housekeeping services, two game viewing activities per day and services of a professional game ranger.
Meals, drinks, the Timvavati Conservation levy of R250 per person per stay (payable direct at camp in cash or credit card), Timbavati Gate fee of R140 per vehicle if self-driving (payable direct at camp in cash or credit card). Please note that only Visa and MasterCard are accepted at the Camp.
- We reserve the right to review rates in August 2017.
- Rates are quoted in South African Rands.
- Rates are quoted per camp per night.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice. Rates include government taxes where applicable. If taxes increase, we reserve the right to increase the rate accordingly.
Available upon request.